Children under the age of 18 have special rights, regardless of their living situation or immigration status
- Access to free elementary and high school education.
- If a child becomes homeless they have the right to stay in the same school regardless of where their family currently lives.
- Free transportation to and from school.
- Access to a school liaison to help the child and their family identify local resources, including:
- Referrals to health care services, dental services, mental health services, or other care providers.
- Act as an advocate for unaccompanied youth, helping them with enrollment, transportation, and disagreements with schools.
- Help students get immunizations and immunization records.
- Equal access to school resources, including certain extra-curricular activities and in some cases free meals during school hours.
- Right to a safe environment.